Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sincerely, Not Inbred

Dear Lady,
I am tired of having my new Yankee girlfriends make fun of me for shows like Honey Boo-Boo and Duck Dynasty, and I can’t wait to give them all a copy of Dear Yankee to read to set them straight! In the meantime, what show or movie would you recommend that depicts the South and Southerners in the right light?
Sincerely, Not Inbred

Dear Not Inbred,

With shows like those, and movies like Deliverance, is it any wonder Yanks cling to the stereotypes? Even with the popularity of Daryl Dixon in the Walking Dead, it is still hard to convince Yanks that there is a difference between the social cliques in the South, and that each clique has its own merits.

I do have a ‘welcome to the South’ movie list for newcomers. Steel Magnolias is first on my list, followed by Sweet Home Alabama, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and for a bit of Southern horror, Skeleton Key. All of these movies have strong sense of Southern Culture and great depictions of Southern Characters.

If you ask why I left Gone with the Wind off the list, I just think you should save the best for last!



Read more about the differences in social cliques of the South in Lady Soliloque's new book, Dear Yankee, Letters from a Southern Lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment